Breast Augmentation & Breast Implants | Pittsburgh, PA
Breast augmentation is one of the most common plastic surgical procedures. This procedure can enhance or restore a woman’s breast volume and shape.
Who is the Ideal Candidate for a Breast Augmentation?
Women of all ages, breast sizes, and shapes are eligible for breast augmentation. Some ideal candidates are women that are looking to increase their breast size, restore lost volume due to pregnancy or weight loss, fight the effects of aging, improve breast symmetry, or correct elongated breasts. As long as a patient is healthy and their breast tissue is fully developed, they can be a candidate for a breast augmentation.
Considerations When Choosing Implants:
- Implant Size: Dr. Antimarino takes into consideration many important elements when choosing an implant such as a patient’s activity level, height, weight, and body type. There are many different sizes and shapes of implants that may be used to best enhance a woman’s body to reach her desired outcome. Furthermore, a well-proportioned breast will give balance and create curves that enhance a woman’s shape.
- Implants: There are two main types of implants available. These include silicone and saline. A consultation with Dr. Antimarino can help you best determine the correct implant size and shape for you to achieve your desired look.
- Position: Implants can be placed above and below the muscle. Dr. Antimarino prefers the sub-muscular placement of the implant as it has proven to have fewer complications and generally improved surveillance for breast cancer in this position.
How to Find the Best Plastic Surgeon for Breast Augmentation:
One great way to determine who you choose to do your breast augmentation is to utilize our “Checklist for Comparing Plastic Surgeons.” This checklist can be used as a guideline to evaluate a surgeon based on different criteria such as credentials, experience with the procedure, and an evaluation of the operating facility.
It is important to verify that your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. This means the surgeon has met the high standards required in their training and passed a plastic surgery exam. Dr. Antimarino is certified by the ABPS, as well as a member of the American Board of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. You also should check your potential surgeon’s website for before and after photos.’
How Much is a Breast Augmentation?
There are a number of factors that must be taken into account when determining the price of a breast augmentation. The surgical fee may include these costs:
- Surgeon’s Fee: The surgeon’s fee can reflect the training, years of experience and expertise of a surgeon and can vary depending on board certifications as well as geographical location. This fee will also cover your follow up care and post-operative visits.
- Surgical Center or Hospital Fee: The location used for your surgery should be fully accredited and clean with properly trained staff.
- Anesthesia: A board-certified nurse anesthetist or anesthesiologist has a specific fee that is charged based on the amount of time needed for anesthesia and the qualifications of the provider.
- Aesthetic Devices: Items such as implants will also be included in the surgical quote.
No surgery is exactly the same, so it is important to visit Dr. Antimarino for your complimentary consultation. During this consultation, Dr. Antimarino will help you understand the surgery and his patient care coordinator will give you a realistic price point for your desired results. You can set up your consultation here.
How to Prepare for Breast Augmentation:
In your initial consultation with Dr. Antimarino, make sure to discuss your expectations for the procedure. This is the time to discuss your concerns and your goals as he will design a surgical plan specifically for you.
You may want to come in with a list of questions to eliminate any confusion and provide you with the most comfortable surgical experience at Bellissimo Plastic Surgery & Medi Spa.
A few good questions to ask are:
- What have the results for past patients been like?
- How many times have you performed this procedure?
- How will this affect any other procedures I have had or procedures I may have in the future?
- Is there a patient you have performed this on previously that I could speak with to hear about their experience?
Patients should bring a sports bra to their consultation appointment for implant sizing.
The use of Aspirin, Ibuprofen, or other supplements that may increase bruising should be stopped two weeks prior to surgery.
Breast Augmentation is an outpatient procedure and is unique to each individual patient. The procedure lasts approximately 1 ½ -2 hours and is done under general anesthesia in an accredited outpatient surgical facility. Our outpatient surgical facilities include Monroeville Surgery Center, Norwin Surgery Center, Excela at Westmoreland and UPMC East Hospital. To get more information about outpatient surgical facilities, click here to read our article entitled, “Are outpatient surgical centers safe?”
The patient is discharged with a light dressing to the surgical site and a support bra in place. The bra is to be worn approximately 2 weeks after surgery. Post-operatively, the patient may experience some mild swelling and minimal pain to the surgical site. Patients may return to work in about 5-7 days and resume light exercise within 3 weeks.
As you are healing, you will notice some scarring initially. However, Dr. Antimarino strategically places each incision to minimize the appearance of permanent scarring. Each incision will be placed in a natural fold or crease so that they will be unnoticeable. With time, scars will fade and become almost invisible.
Here are Some FAQs for Breast Augmentation in Pittsburgh:
- How long does breast augmentation last?
On average, silicone implants will last 20+ years. The average lifespan of a saline implant is 10-15 years. Anyone with implants that are ten years old should receive routine examinations from a board-certified plastic surgeon on an annual basis.
- Are there any risks to silicone implants?
For any invasive procedure, there are always chances of risk, however, there are only a few risks to silicone implants. There is a chance of rupture or capsular contracture if you have had your implants for more than 10 years. Periodic visits to a board certified plastic surgeon will allow the implants to be monitored appropriately for any signs of complications. Generally, silicone implants last over 20 years but the risk of capsular contracture increases with implants after 10 years. We advise that you speak with Dr. Antimarino during your consultation about all of the benefits and risks of breast implants.
- When do you need your implants replaced?
If you have had your implants for ten years or more, it is important to get routine examinations done by a board-certified plastic surgeon every 1-2 years and to call for an appointment if you have any pain or notice any changes. Some of the most common reasons for replacement are size change, rippling, wrinkling, asymmetry, rupture, and capsular contracture. Dr. Antimarino will work with you to find the best replacement.
- What other procedures can mimic the effects of a breast augmentation without the implants?
Breast lift: In some instances, a breast lift can be used as an alternative to a breast augmentation. This requires more extensive incisions and reshaping of the breast tissue.
Fat Transfer to Breast: This is another option that you may opt for in place of a breast augmentation. This procedure takes fat from one region of your body and places it in the breast using a liposuction technique. However, with this technique, several surgeries may be required to achieve your desired results.
“Dr. Antimarino and his staff were amazing throughout the process of having my breast augmentation! The staff was warm and welcoming and appointment wait times were never longer than 5 minutes. Dr. Antimarino was very helpful at answering all of the questions and concerns that I had regarding my procedure. He is very knowledgeable and is the type of doctor that will always do what is in his patients’ best interests. My recovery was very short as I was able to return to work on Monday after having surgery on the previous Thursday. Four weeks post surgical my scars are barely visible and my breasts look proportional and natural. I’m so grateful that I went with Dr. Antimarino and his team!” – Real Patient
“Two months out from my BR (breast augmentation) to restore volume after pregnancy/breast feeding, and I couldn’t be happier. Dr. Jeffrey Antimarino. Natrelle SRX 285/310. My goal was to recreate my pre-pregnancy look with a natural appearance. I got exactly what I hoped for. I couldn’t be happier with my choice of surgeon. The best of the best!” – Real Patient
“I had a breast augmentation with Dr. Antimarino just about 2 weeks ago. I am feeling wonderfull and confident about my breasts right now. Dr. Antimarino is super nice and patient with me. He does great job at breast surgeries. I really appreciate his care and support. Not only Dr. Antimarino but his staff are amazing and super super nice as well!!!!! I wanna thank them all for their help! They are wonderful. I am glad I chose the Bellissimo Plastic Surgery.” – Real Patient
Before and After
When searching for a plastic surgeon to perform your procedure, you should always analyze the before and after images of the surgeon’s work. This will allow you to determine if their results yield the look that you desire. To see before and after images of Dr. Antimarino’s breast augmentation patients, click here.
A consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jeffrey Antimarino is an opportunity to ask questions and have a detailed discussion about a Breast Augmentation procedure. Dr. Antimarino is available to see patients in Shadyside, Monroeville, and our Greensburg satellite location. Schedule your complimentary cosmetic consultation or a virtual consultation now.