The Pros and Cons of Breast Reduction
Posted December 02, 2017
Are you considering breast reduction? Reducing the size of overly large breasts can improve a woman’s quality of life. Women choose this breast procedure for many reasons, and they seek the best plastic surgeon in Pittsburgh for advice and consultation. Bellissimo Plastic Surgery & Medi Spa specializes in empowering women with educational content, and we’re reviewing the pros and cons of breast reduction surgery.
Who is a Candidate for Breast Reduction?
If you’re considering reducing the size of your breasts, they are likely causing you emotional or physical complications. Empowering women with better breast health can help boost self-confidence and get them feeling confident and carefree.
For those who are considering going through a breast reduction, here are a few ways to tell if you’re a good candidate:
- Your breasts restrict physical activity. If your dream is to run a race or simply increase your physical activity but you can’t find a sports bra that feels comfortable and supportive, you aren’t alone. There are many women who do not participate in physical fitness due to the size of their breasts and discomfort during workouts. While we all understand the importance of physical activity, your breasts shouldn’t get in the way of your fitness goals. Breast reduction is one way to help you become more physically active, whether it’s at the gym or in everyday life.
- You experience major physical discomfort from your breasts. Large breasts can cause backaches, tension headaches, and other physical discomforts. The extra weight on your chest can even impact your posture, which can strain your neck and leave you in pain for the majority of the day.
- You’re physically healthy. Even if your exercise is slightly restricted due to the size of your breasts, overall health is important for a breast procedure. This ensures that your body can handle the surgery and recovery process.
- You have realistic expectations of surgery outcome. All breasts and bodies are unique, so it’s important that you maintain a realistic expectation after your reduction.
What are the Cons of Reducing Breast Size?
Those who have never undergone any type of reconstruction of the body might wonder about the negative impacts of breast reduction. Breast reduction can help improve your confidence and appearance, but you’ll want to consider the following before moving forward with the surgery:
- The size of your nipple may change, but this can help provide a more natural appearance with the new size of your breasts
- If you become pregnant after your reduction, the size of your breasts may change. If you’re planning to have children after your reduction, it’s best to seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon in Pittsburgh so you know what to expect
- No exercise for a few weeks after surgery. While you might be gung-ho about training or exercise, you’ll need to wait a little bit longer after surgery so everything properly heals. Once you’re cleared, you’re good to begin exercising to your heart’s content.
What are the Pros of Reducing Breast Size?
While there a couple of cons to consider, many patients are delighted at the results of their breast reduction. These are a few of the pros you’ll find with breast reduction:
- Breast reduction is safe: When you work with the best plastic surgeon in Pittsburgh, you’ll have peace of mind knowing this reconstruction is safe. Be sure that you choose a credible and board certified plastic surgeon for best results
- More comfort: If you’ve lived with considerable discomfort with your breasts over the last several years, a breast reduction can provide much-needed relief.
- Improved self-esteem: Breast reduction surgery can provide a boost in confidence, especially if your large breasts make you feel awkward and embarrassed. Even a small reduction can make a difference in your appearance and self-esteem.
- Available right here in Pittsburgh: There’s no need to leave the city for your breast reduction. Bellissimo Plastic Surgery & Medi Spa specializes in breast augmentation and reconstruction, including breast reduction. We help women all throughout the area achieve better breast health and love their appearance.
Choose Bellissimo Plastic Surgery & Medi Spa for Breast Reduction
As your partner in defining you, Bellissimo is dedicated to helping you achieve the best results possible for your breast reduction. Our board certified physician has helped women with breasts of all kinds of shapes and sizes, and provides an educational outlook on breast implant awareness and more.
To schedule a consultation or call with questions, contact us today at 844-496-6647.