The Guide to Better Breast Health
Posted November 14, 2017
Although October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, it’s never too soon to think about the overall health of your breasts. Each year, 1 in 8 women are diagnosed with breast cancer—with Julia Louis-Dreyfus from Seinfeld most recently coming forward with her breast cancer diagnosis. Regardless of the shape and size of your breasts or past history with cancer, staying on top of your breast health can help you catch warning signs before major trouble begins.
Attention All Women: Your Breast Health is Important
Whether you’re 22 or 72, choose today to start paying attention to your breast health. There are several ways that you can begin dedicating time to ensure the best breast health possible, and the first step is realizing what’s normal.
Normal Breast Characteristics to Remember
Before we move forward with warning signs of potential breast health problems, understand that the following situations are typically normal:
- Breasts that are two different sizes. While this can feel embarrassing, know that it is completely normal to have two breasts that are different sizes. If this is a situation that is causing you anxiety, some women choose breast implants to even out the size difference. Bellissimo is dedicated to offering educational material on breast implant awareness, especially helping women understand that breast implants are more than just increasing the size of your chest. This cosmetic surgery can truly help boost your self-esteem and give you a fuller, more balanced appearance.
- Your breasts hurt or feel tender during your period. This is often a result of hormones and may not be something to worry about.
- One breast hangs slightly lower than the other and they may be different shapes.
- There is hair around your nipples or areolas.
Warning Signs to Keep in Mind
Now that you know a few characteristics that are completely normal with breasts, there are other times when consulting a doctor is best for your breast health:
- You find a hard lump in your breast that wasn’t present before. This may also include lumps found in your armpit area, since this can sometimes be connected to your breast tissue.
- Swelling of all or part of the breast.
- Nipple turning inward.
- Dimpling skin.
- Odd changes that you’ve never seen with your breasts before.
Consistency is important when it comes to breast health. When you discover notable changes and you’re unsure of what to do next, it’s wise to consult your primary doctor for more information.
How Women Reshape, Improve, and Enhance Their Breasts
Sometimes a woman will come to a crossroad in her life. She may decide to have cosmetic surgery to increase breast size, or she may even choose a breast reduction or be confronted with breast cancer and have to consider breast reconstruction. These are the procedures that women consider when choosing to improve their appearance or just address their breast health:
What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation is a procedure that enhances the appearance and size of the breast. Bellissimo Plastic Surgery & Medi Spa has completed over 1,500 breast augmentations with the goal of empowering women. As one of the best plastic surgeons in Pittsburgh, Dr. Jeffrey R. Antimarino helps women find a balanced and realistic look that best suits their bodies.
What is Breast Reaugmentation?
Breast reaugmentation is a secondary procedure, sometimes referred to as secondary breast augmentation, that replaces an implant or repairs the pocket of a patient’s current breast implants. Breast reaugmentation can help address numerous issues that may impact breast health, including drooping breasts, capsular contraction, slow gel bleeds, and more.
What is a Breast Reduction?
A breast reduction is a procedure that reduces the size of the breast. It’s performed for women who have large breast-related problems, including difficulty exercising, major physical discomfort, and those who are self-conscious about breast size.
What is Breast Reconstruction?
After a breast cancer diagnosis, some women may choose to move forward with breast reconstruction. Although it’s a very personal decision, the goal of breast reconstruction surgery is to help rebuild breasts after cancer as well as improve the emotional well-being of the patient. As your partner in defining you, Bellissimo Plastic Surgery & Medi Spa can help you determine if breast reconstruction is the right procedure for you.
Empower Your Life with Bellissimo Plastic Surgery & Medi Spa
Whether you’re aiming for better breast health or you’re considering a cosmetic procedure for a boost in self-image, Bellissimo is the go-to educational source for reduction, reconstruction, and more. Contact us today with questions and choose one of the best plastic surgeons in Pittsburgh.