June Procedure of the Month: Gynecomastia or Excess Male Breast Tissue
Posted May 26, 2021
Gynecomastia or Excess Male Breast Tissue: Here is the 411
- Gynecomastia typically presents during puberty. However, men tend to come in for evaluation and treatment between the ages of 16-60.
- There are varying degrees of gynecomastia. Some men may present with a small amount of breast tissue isolated behind the nipple creating a “puffy” area. Others may have breast development that appears as a female breast shape.
- Surgical correction depends on the degree of gynecomastia and the amount of tissue needing to be removed. This procedure can range from direct excision of the area of tissue behind the nipple to a combination of liposuction and direct excision.
- The procedure takes approximately 1- 1 ½ hours and is done in an accredited outpatient surgery center.
- Pain is minimal after the procedure. The area will have a bandage that can be removed after several days. Patients can return to work or school within a few days and exercise within 3 weeks.
Dr. Antimarino is available for further discussion regarding this procedure. Schedule your complimentary cosmetic consultation today.